75 years of Petrol
Petrol was established on 12 May 1945 with the decision of the Yugoslav government to establish the Jugopetrol state petroleum company, with its head office in Belgrade. Immediately upon establishment, the company opened subsidiaries in all of the republics, which two years later, all became independent companies, including Jugopetrol Ljubljana. Its first director was Franc Malavašič, while the first service station manager known by name was Matevž Kepic (15 July 1945). The first works council meeting was held on 15 September 1950, followed by the adoption of the company’s first internal rules in January 1951. In 1953, Jugopetrol Ljubljana was renamed Petrol Ljubljana, and became registered for the import of petroleum products. The first proper service station as we know them today, was built in Solkan, near Nova Gorica. It started operating on 15 January 1953. By the end of 1960, Petrol Ljubljana had 31 service stations, and in 1960, it also entered the catering business with the opening of its first restaurant in Čatež. Taking a look at the 1974 business year reveals some impressive figures: 230 service stations, 13 warehouses, 6 catering establishments, 5 car care workshops, 2 stores, and 2 motels.
As development in the 1980s was rapid and dynamic, Petrol had to keep adapting its operations to the market conditions and other circumstances. In this way, what was once a typical trade organisation, transformed into an energy organisation whose main feature was concern for the steady supply of oil, petroleum products, and natural gas to Slovenia. Besides expanding its additional products selection, Petrol’s operations were also marked by two major milestones. In 1986, Petrol started selling unleaded petrol at its service stations, despite having supply problems. The self-service concept was introduced in 1986 as part of its efforts to cater to customers.
After the country gained independence, Petrol restructured into a complex enterprise. It was entered in the court register as a public limited company on 24 December 1996, and its stock was first listed on the Ljubljana Stock Exchange on 5 May 1997. By building the state-of-the-art chemical laboratory in 1997 in Zalog, Ljubljana, Petrol took a step forward in the verification of the conformity of fuels and other petroleum products, and in the production of its own-brand products. Its concern for the environment and sustainable development was confirmed with the awarding of the ISO 14001 standard.
Petrol became an electricity trader in 2001, following the establishment of ElektroPetrol. 2003 saw the establishment of Petrol Energetika, as a result of the takeover of Energetika Ravne and Energetika Štore, which was in keeping with Petrol’s vision of transforming into an energy concern. The next landmark event came in 2010, when Petrol expanded its electricity trading activities to include the sale of electricity to end users – households. By entering foreign markets – by the end of 2010, Petrol was present on as many as eight markets, with 441 service stations – Petrol is becoming an increasingly important regional player.
At the end of March 2020, the Petrol Group managed over 509 service stations, of which 318 were in Slovenia, 109 in Croatia, 42 in Bosnia and Herzegovina, 15 in Serbia, 15 in Montenegro, and 10 in Kosovo. Our comprehensive offering of solutions ensures a sustainable supply of first-class energy at home, on the road, and in business. Improving the quality of life is our deeper purpose and our promise.
More about the history of Petrol